patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

Lost in Space...

The Martian - Andy Weir

Oh, this one pushed so many of my buttons (in a good way):

--it's a survival story
--starring a wiseass
--set in space
--and it has a solid science background

I loved this book. I took off half a star because the editing could have been a bit tighter, but this is a piddly criticism. Let me put it this way: When I had finished it the first time, I promptly went back to the beginning and started it all over again. I didn't want it to be over, and I don't give higher praise than that.

Summary: Astronaut Mark Watney has been stranded on Mars, left there by his crewmates under the assumption that he's dead (hint: he's not). Using his skills as a botanist and an engineer, he MacGuyvers his way into surviving and coming up with a plan to communicate with Earth and maybe even get home in one piece.

I wouldn't spoil the events of this book for the, well, world, so you'll be lucky enough to read it for yourself. This is the best storytelling I've seen in a long time. Have fun.