patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe - Charles Yu Well now that I've finished it...

Basically nothing happens until page 89 of 233. That's a long time to wait, especially while reading logorrhea from a guy who states explicitly that he's avoiding living--just hanging out with some software (and a dog that's not real) in a little box/womb. (For a minute, I thought it would turn out to be a Doctor Who parallel, but no.) Why should I care about this guy and his blathering?

And once the "action" does start, he discovers he's in a time loop, so we get the same thing over and over again until he figures out how to break "free." Trust me, it's even less interesting than the dry description I've given here.

Once free, he goes to revisit scenes from his childhood, in an effort to figure out where his father might have gone. Some of these are very well done (thus the 2-star rating). Too bad they came too late for me to care.

This probably would have been a kick-ass short story. Cut out all the blah, blah, blah and I think it really could have been striking. But unless you're into a VERY poor (and apathetic) man's Ulysses, give this one a pass.