patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro Another one I'm conflicted about.

This is the story of three young people growing up in a very comfortable "boarding school" in England. Only later do we find out that they're actually clones being raised to supply spare parts.

Pluses: The writing, for the most part. I thought the characters were believable children and teens, mostly, and I really liked (and was horrified by) the premise. I stayed up late so I could keep reading.

Minuses: I kept waiting for some angst on the part of the characters--are you telling me that *none of them* had a problem with being raised to supply parts?! I'm not buying it, especially when they got to be teenagers. And I would have loved to see the government discussions about this program, the press, etc. How did this type of program come to exist at all, and what caused it to be disbanded, apparently? And what about the recipients--were they just rich, or were there other criteria that allowed them to participate? Etc., etc. Just some more context would have been appreciated, given how understated and matter-of-fact the presentation is. Also, the narrator said "Let me back up..." way too often for my taste. Either write it linearly or as flashbacks, but that device got old in a hurry.

Summary: I liked the premise and most of the writing, but I don't think that Ishiguro was the right person to write this story.