patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

This Is How You Lose Her

This Is How You Lose Her - Junot Díaz I loved Diaz's Oscar Wao novel, so I was looking forward to this one. Too bad it doesn't have anywhere near the depth of the earlier work.

I will say that the writing remains wonderful--powerful, evocative, and provocative. Diaz wields language as a weapon and doesn't pull any punches. That's the good news.

And now for the not-so-good. As others have commented, most of the women in this series of stories are ciphers--they're there only for Yunior to take from or (grudgingly) give to. None of the characters are sympathetic, either, which makes it hard to relate to or root for them.

These stories aren't told in chronological order, making the narrative arc a bit scattered. More important, Yunior doesn't appear to learn anything or grow from his dealings with women over the book's course. Why bother telling his story if he ends up thinking of women the same way as in the beginning? Disappointing.