patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

In the Woods

In the Woods - Tana French DH and I are going to Ireland next year, so I thought I would read some fiction set there just to get a taste of the culture, writing, etc. What a novel to start with!

As a child, Dublin Detective Rob Ryan was the only witness (and surviving victim) of a crime that claimed his two best friends. Too bad he remembers only a few bits and pieces of it. Now, 20 years later, a girl has been sexually assaulted and murdered in the same remote place--are the crimes connected? It's up to Ryan and his partner Cassie to comb through the threads to uncover the truth. Along the way, we get class differences, city politics, archaeology, and psychological twists and turns.

I have to admit I didn't see the end(s) coming, although I did figure out one small piece of it. In this debut novel, French does a wonderful job of capturing both places and times, past and present, and her characters are flawed and believable. Highly recommended, but be in a good emotional place when you read it--that's all I'm going to say.

Now, on to the other books in her series!