patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

Year of Wonders

Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks Like other reviewers, I have 2 rankings for this one: 5 stars for the bulk of the book, and 1 star for the ending.

*SPOILERS*

First, the pluses: I loved the writing, the sense of place and community, the look at their day-to-day lives, and the dread that emerges and increases as the disease spreads. Purely by coincidence, this is the second book about the plague that I've read in the past 2 weeks, and both did a wonderful job of getting across how isolating and paranoia-inducing it would be to have your village decay around you. Well done.

I also generally liked the characters (until the end): Anna, the survivor; the Rector, who continues his mission and searches for meaning in the midst of catastrophe; Elinor, his wife, a gentle and loving helpmeet; and the rest of the townsfolk.

And then we get to the ending--what a letdown. We learn that the Rector and Elinor's relationship is the total opposite of what we've been led to believe, and he's exposed as a cruel, judgmental hypocrite. There's no hint of it until then, either--throughout the book, he advocates mercy and forgiveness, even when people do heinous things. But he punishes his wife for being human for their entire marriage, and she gratefully goes along with it?? Please. I'm not really sure why the infidelity of Mrs. Bradford is brought in at the end, either, unless it's just the setup to get Anna out of the village and away from the Rector. The whole last section just feels like the ending of a different book, is all.

In the end, I'm wondering who's worse--Mr. Bradford, who's open about his cruelty, or the Rector, who hides it.