patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

To Say Nothing of the Dog

To Say Nothing of the Dog - Connie Willis British farce meets Doctor Who...

This one was a ton of fun. You just know that if time travel really does get developed, some rich society dame is going to use it for a completely frivolous purpose, like Lady Schrapnell (love the name) in this book. And the poor shmoes who have to satisfy their whims will see it as just another job--"if it's Tuesday, it must be the 1940s," etc.

The story recounts the repeated efforts to find the Maguffin, er, the bishop's bird stump, needed for a re-creation of Coventry Cathedral. Our hero, Ned, gets caught in a web of causality, unintended consequences, romance, incongruities, and "nonsignificant objects" such as kittens. (It makes sense in context, trust me.)

It all turns out right in the end, or does it? In any event, the journey goes by quickly and with much humor. Loved it.