patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

House Rules

House Rules - Jodi Picoult Used-Car Saleswoman of an Author

This is the second book of hers I've read that starts with an awesome premise--in the first, My Sister's Keeper, it's the ethics of having a kid simply to supply body parts for an older sister, and what happens when said kid has had enough; in this book, it's about whether a kid with Asperger's should be convicted of a crime if he/she truly cannot appreciate that the act was wrong.

The problem with Picoult's books is that after presenting the awesome hook, getting you invested in the characters, and making it so you're dying to see how she's going to pull it off, she *never actually addresses the question.* There's some "clever" plot twist at the end that makes the rest of the book irrelevant, and the characters never have to deal with the implications of the original situation. SO frustrating.

I won't fall for this bait-and-switch tactic again. Not recommended.