patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

The Dry Grass of August

The Dry Grass of August - Anna Jean Mayhew A Future Classic

The Dry Grass of August tells the deceptively simple story of Jubie, a privileged white teen whose eyes are beginning to open to the end-products of 1950s racism. Although parallels might be drawn between this novel and, say, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Dry Grass of August offers broader and deeper examinations of class differences and family dynamics, which enrich the story considerably.

The author has completely captured the language of the time and created a sense of place so realistic that one almost feels compelled to swat at the mosquitoes that surely must be nearby.

I have a feeling that this will be one of the rare novels that begs for multiple readings--the first, hurried time to find out what happens, but with many leisurely rereadings to savor the language and storytelling.