patfrench

Stop Making Sense

I read anything that's nailed down, or even just moving slowly. Cereal boxes, candy wrappers, all genres, etc., and I don't always have much time for arbitrary distinctions like literary fiction vs. genre fiction.

Bottoms up!

Collared - L.A. Kornetsky

This is the story of Ginny, a personal concierge, and Teddy, a bartender, and how they get involved in something way, WAY over their pay grades. It involves a missing patriarch, some shady real estate dealings, and pistol-toting dames, not to mention a dog and cat who consult with each other on the care and feeding of The Humans.

Kornetsky (aka Laura Anne Gilman) has a real gift for snappy, snarky dialog and capturing the urban scene. Although the novel is set in Seattle and environs, her NYC roots show (that's a compliment), especially in Teddy's thoughts and lines. Lots of fun.

This is her debut mystery novella (she's also done urban and epic fantasy, in addition to short fiction and a bit of nonfiction), and that's where the only weaknesses are apparent. The plot is a little thin, and the story ends a bit abruptly and somewhat off-screen--I felt slightly shortchanged. But this is a promising debut, and I've already gotten the next two books in the series.

Here's to Gin and Tonic! (hic)